Dinner is easy with this Moroccan take on a meatball soup.
The ingredient of Spiced Moroccan meatball soup
- 2 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 bunch coriander, leaves picked, stems chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 carrots, cut into 1cm pieces
- 2 zucchinis, cut into 1cm pieces
- 4 cups (1L) Massel chicken style liquid stock or vegetable liquid stock
- 500g beef mince
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup (50g) fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 cup (200g) pearl (Israeli) couscous (see notes)
- 1/2 cup (40g) flaked almonds
The instruction how to make Spiced Moroccan meatball soup
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add half each of the onion and garlic, then cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until softened. Stir in cinnamon, ginger and 1 tsp cumin, then cook for a further 2 minutes or until fragrant. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Return pan to medium heat with 2 tsp oil. Add coriander stems and remaining onion and garlic, then cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add chilli flakes and remaining 1 tsp cumin, then cook for a further 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in carrot, zucchini, stock and 1 cup (250ml) water, bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Meanwhile, using your hands, combine onion mixture, mince, egg and crumbs in a bowl and season. Roll into walnut-sized balls, then chill for 10 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbs oil in a frypan over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs, in batches, for 2-3 minutes until browned.
- Add couscous to the soup and cook for 3-4 minutes until tender. Add meatballs and cook for a further 3-4 minutes until warmed through. To serve, sprinkle with coriander leaves and almonds.
Nutritions of Spiced Moroccan meatball soupfatContent: