This elegant capsicum soup is served with soft polenta and olive cornbread for a complete, hearty meal.
The ingredient of Capsicum soup with olive cornbread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 red onions, halved, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 (about 1.4kg) red capsicums, halved, deseeded, coarsely chopped
- 1 x 400g can diced tomatoes with basil
- 1.25L (5 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock (see Notes)
- 250ml (1 cup) thickened cream
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 170g (1 cup) coarse polenta (cornmeal)
- 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 100g butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 80g (1 cup) coarsely grated cheddar
- 85g (1/2 cup) drained stuffed green olives, thinly sliced
The instruction how to make Capsicum soup with olive cornbread
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until soft. Add capsicum and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until capsicum softens.
- Place one-third of capsicum mixture in the jug of a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a clean saucepan. Repeat, in 2 more batches, with the remaining capsicum mixture. Add the cream and stir over low heat until hot. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, to make the olive cornbread, combine polenta, flour and salt in a large bowl. Add the milk, melted butter and egg, and stir until combined. Stir in cheddar. Spoon mixture among eight 250ml (1-cup) capacity non-stick mini loaf pans and smooth the surface. Top with olives. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Turn onto a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Ladle capsicum soup among serving bowls. Sprinkle with chives and serve immediately with sliced cornbread.
Nutritions of Capsicum soup with olive cornbreadfatContent: 1072.393 calories
saturatedFatContent: 68 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 37 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 82 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 26 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 28 grams protein